Sunday, August 24, 2008

A promise fulfilled



Last April was Rachel's sixth birthday and her year for a party. With all the changes with Sarah, I promised her we would do it later this summer. We were on our way home from Huron early in August and planned it in the truck. At this point time was not on our side, as we had only three weeks until school started.

I will confess that I cannot be credited with it completely, for God had a great hand in it. What started out as a rough idea came together really well. I was completely prepared when the girls arrived on Friday afternoon, and even had a night out with John Thursday! This is huge considering my talent for procrastination.

With a Barbie cake as the centerpiece, we had a tea party, crafts, and a huge tissue paper flower pinata! Elizabeth served the tea (apple juice), sandwiches, fruit kabobs, and sweets. She was a wonderful help.

I will say it was a group effort as both Elizabeth and Rachel were very excited about our plans and helped with much of it. Rachel wanted to help frost the cake, but was happy helping pick out the patterns and colors instead.

I hope it is a cake she won't forget, because I'm sure I will not be soon!
It turned out better than I thought, and was fun to make. It took two boxes of cake mix, a large pyrex measuring cup and two 8 inch round pans. We're still eating leftovers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed-the cake looks wonderful-Sounds like Rachel enjoyed her special party.
Deb

Katie said...

wow--very impressive cake!

Anonymous said...

Cute cake. I bet Rachel LOVED it! Looks like it was a fun party!

Mic