So I was thinking that anyone would wonder what our plans were for 50 pounds of apples?
We have been going and picking apples for I believe four years now. Last year we added the aspect of pie baking to our day.
My grandmother was well known for her apple pie. Almost every August of my childhood we would gather at my Aunt Nita's house for a weekend of pie baking. (They had apple trees & still do.)
Last year we were a little ambitious and baked over 30 pies. This year we scaled back a little and baked only 22. It took us only 2 1/2 hours to make them, and then we just had to wait for the oven to catch up.
So when we finished picking apples, pumpkin shopping and lunch, we headed home to set up assembly.
Katie is the granddaughter with the skills to make the crust, and does so beautifully. I had a little training this year in anticipation of the day Katie is no longer available to help.
The biggest improvement over the years I have to say is the Pampered Chef tool we use to core, peel, and slice the apples. You can handle an apple in less than a minute. Very helpful!
Sonya started out with the corer duty until she decided to remove a portion of a finger, then we defaulted to John. It is very sharp!
It went very smoothly with all of us helping out.
We freeze the pies once baked unless we plan on eating them within the next couple days.
It's a tradition I would like to continue so the girls (and I) learn how to make pie. Plus it gets the mess all over with in one day!
No comments:
Post a Comment